Monday, April 30, 2012

Princess of Ancient Greece


I remember telling a colleague (a fifty something, ex Army Major with a tough exterior but soft, gooey centre) that I bought a Princess of Ancient Greece Barbie. He thought I meant "ancient grease barbecue" and asked if it was a Weber! Sigh... what is it when men and fire?


This Barbie is beautiful with dark brown hair styled in a Grecian chignon adorned with a gold laurel crown. She wears gold earrings and a serpent arm cuff to match the lion head medallions that are pinned to the shoulders of her dress. The dress consists of a copper pleated dress called a chiton and a sheer sheath embellished with a gold Grecian pattern is draped elegantly around her. Barbie wears gold sandals so one cannot deny that she is a Princess with all that gold! I'm sure this Barbie was released to coincide with the Olympic Games in Athens in 2004.

Release date: 1 December 2003
Label: Collector Edition
Mattel price: US$19.95
Ebay price as at April 2012: US$70 - US$90

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I love your blog and I love your dolls!
    This Princess is one of the most beautiful in the Princess Collection. I love her crown.

    lucysbarbiedolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucille, many thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment ~ it is so lovely of you! You have a great blog too, I'm very pleased to meet a fellow collector :)

      Delete