Friday, June 1, 2012

Scarlett O'Hara: Red Dress


The burgundy dress worn by Scarlett O'Hara to Ashley Wilkes' birthday party was rather risque compared to the conservative gowns worn by the other ladies. I love the following scene between Rhett and Scarlett from Gone with the Wind:

Rhett: You're not ready for Melanie's party?
Scarlett: I've got a headache, Rhett. You go without me and make my excuses to Melanie. 
Rhett: What a white-livered little coward you are. Get up. You're going to that party and you'll have to hurry.
Scarlett: Has India dared to...
Rhett: Yes. India has. Every woman and man in town knows the story!
Scarlett: You should kill them, spreading lies.
Rhett: I have a strange way of not killing people who tell the truth. There's no time to argue. Get up!
Scarlett: I won't go! I can't go till this misunderstanding is cleared up.
Rhett: Don't cheat Melly out of the satisfaction of publicly ordering you out of her house.
Scarlett: There was nothing wrong. India hates me so. I can't go, Rhett. I couldn't face it.
Rhett: If you don't go, you won't be able to show your face as long as you live. That wouldn't bother me, but you won't ruin Bonnie's chances. You're going to that party, if only for her sake. Now get dressed! Wear that! Nothing modest or matronly will do for this occasion. And put on plenty of rouge. I want you to look your part tonight.


This Scarlett O'Hara Barbie is beautifully reproduced and I love the richness of the fabric. Her curly brown hair is tied in a low chignon with ringlets. She has green eyes and rooted eyelashes, and wears a pair of gold and ruby earrings and matching bracelet. Barbie's burgundy velvet gown is dramatic with a low cut sweetheart bodice embellished with jewels and marabou feathers. I love how the train is elegantly draped around her which makes her outfit even more striking. She wears elbow length gloves and a tulle shawl. Nothing matronly about this ensemble!

Release date: 1 January 1994
Label: Collector Edition
Ebay price as at June 2012: US$20 - US$90

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I own this dress too and I agree, it is sumptuous and lovely quality! My rebodied red headed Stardoll is currently wearing it dressed as Lucy, one of 'Dracula's Brides'! I have been hunting for some suitably fabulous clothes for my new Integrity Toys dolls and some of these movie star gowns are just perfect 😉 Thanks for doing this blog - it is a great way to get more info on a doll or outfit before taking the plunge and buying it/her!

    ReplyDelete