Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sugar Plum Fairy


I’ve never grown out of my childhood love of ballet with tulle tutus, pointe slippers and satin ribbons (and the dancing of course!). I even bought a pair a pointes few years ago and was annoyed when the sales assistant refused to sell me a pair because I “was not authorised to wear them”. Seriously? I then followed with “if I said I was an artist and needed the slippers as a subject to sketch, would you sell them to me”. She said “yes”, so now I’m happy as I have a pair of pointe ballet slippers I’m not authorised to wear, and the sales assistant can sleep at night knowing that I’m only using them for art class!


I love this Sugar Plum Fairy Barbie even though the target market was aimed at children (I suppose this includes the young at heart). Barbie is beautiful with a lovely complexion, shoulder length blonde hair wearing a tiara and rooted eye lashes. Her pink knee length tulle tutu is glittered, and her bodice is trimmed with pink and gold ribbons and bows. Barbie also wears tulle armlets, sheer tights and pink ballet slippers with lace-up ribbons. I would have loved to have taken ballet lessons as a child, but this Barbie fulfills my ballet fantasy.

Release date: 1 January 1997
Mattel price: US$29.99
Label: Collector Edition
Ebay price as at May 2012: US$15 - US$45

No comments:

Post a Comment