Friday, June 15, 2012

William and Catherine Royal Wedding Giftset

I didn't like the idea of a William and Catherine Royal Wedding Giftset as I thought the idea a little tacky. Ordinarily it is a complement to be immortalised as a Barbie and Ken doll (I wouldn't mind her figure), but they are royal (I sit on the fence with the republican-monarchy debate) and the dolls labeled under the "Pop Culture" category makes me cringe as I don't consider them "celebrities"! Then again, I suppose having their image on a commemorative plate or mug could be considered tasteless, but each to their own. I didn't intend to buy this set but it was on sale at Target, and I have trouble walking away from a bargain even if I'm a little conflicted! I'm full of contradictions, so now I own a tacky commemorative souvenir!


This is a Gold Label set limited to 22,500 units, and I think the high quantity resulted in poor quality dolls. If it is to be a Gold Label collection, then it should have a lower production run or at least be produced with finer quality materials (see Carolina Herrera and Monique Lhuillier, the later was limited to 8,500 units).


There is a likeness to Prince William (ah hem, minus the bald patch) and he looks somewhat dashing in his Colonel of the Irish Guards uniform. His red jacket is decorated with a blue sash, gold cummerbund with a gold fringe and medallions. He wears black pants and polished black shoes.


Designed by Sarah Burton, the creative director for the Alexander McQueen label, Catherine's ivory long sleeve lace and taffeta gown dress is simple and elegant. I was disappointed with the quality of the lace and taffeta used, and the coarseness of the tulle and lace veil. The doll resembles the Duchess of Cambridge with her dark brown hair, simple makeup (which she apparently did herself) and dimpled cheeks. She wears a tiara and diamond drop earrings which were a gift from her parents. She carries a bouquet of lilly of the valley, and wears the late Princess Diana's oval blue sapphire and diamond engagement ring to Prince Charles, which on doll size fingers looks a little clumsy. Despite my less than enthusiastic assessment of this set, it is any wonder why I bought it!

Release date: 14 February 2012
Mattel price: US$100
Label: Gold
Ebay price as at June 2012: US$120 - US$230

1 comment:

  1. This set is a surely a delight to have, but I wished it was better made. I saw the dolls deboxed and the work is not that bad, only the material is (dare I say it?) cheap. It's painfully obviously especially on Will's red jacket. It's so coarse you can see the fabric weave a mile away! I was tempted to get them a while ago, but at $200, NO WAY..I wished it was more limited. Some dolls like the Aphrodite are only about 4,300, while the Vera Wang Traditionalist is even less at only 2,500 made!

    ReplyDelete