Friday, September 7, 2012

Scarlett O'Hara: Black & White Dress

The black and white gown Scarlett O'Hara wore during her New Orleans honeymoon is not my favourite, and I wished Mattel reproduce another ensemble from Gone with the Wind ~ like the white layered dress with the red belt in the opening scene, or the striking blue outfit worn when Scarlett visited Ashley Wilkes at the lumber mill.

I did like Rhett Butler's proposal, after all, what kind of girl wouldn't like to be spoilt rotten from the proceeds of racketeering?

Rhett: Say yes. Say yes.
Scarlett: Yes.
Rhett: Are you sure you meant it? You don't want to take it back?
Scarlett: No.
Rhett: Look at me and try to tell me the truth. Did you say yes because of my money?
Scarlett: Well yes. Partly.
Rhett: Partly?
Scarlett: Well, you know, Rhett, money does help, and of course I am fond of you.
Rhett: Fond of me?
Scarlett: If I said I was madly in love with you, you'd know I was lying but you always said we had a lot in common.
Rhett: Yes, you're right, my dear. I'm not in love with you any more than you are with me. Heaven help the man who ever really loves you. What kind of a ring would you like, my darling?
Scarlett: A diamond ring. And do buy a great big one, Rhett.
Rhett: You shall have the biggest and the most vulgar ring in Atlanta. We'll go to New Orleans for the most expensive honeymoon my ill-gotten gains can buy.
Scarlett: That would be just heavenly.


Barbie's brown hair is in ringlets and she has rooted eyelashes. She wears gold and coral drop earrings which matches her brooch securing her black lace scarf. Her white gown is sewn in panels with a horizontal grain and has a rounded colour and pearl buttons down the front. Barbie carries a faux fur muff and wears a white hat. Like the other Barbies in the series, Barbie wears a pair of pantelettes and a hoop skirt, but this Barbie's petticoat is edged with white lace (where as the Twelve Oaks barbecue dress had ruffled layers, and the green drapery dress had a single layer of tulle).

Release date: 1 January 1995
Label: Collector Edition
Ebay price as at September 2012: US$25 - US$50

No comments:

Post a Comment