Saturday, October 13, 2012

Dolls of the World: Thai Barbie


I bought this Thai Barbie with Polish Barbie when Uncle Charles and I were on the hunt for dolls in Kuala Lumpur in 1998. Like the Polish Barbie, Thai Barbie is beautifully designed and crafted and the quality and details are superb. I said to Uncle Charles that I didn’t like the face (I now think she's beautiful), and he replied that it is what Thai women look like.
 
 
I have seen this dance being performed in Phuket many years ago, and Mattel has done a fine job replicating the traditional Lakorn dance costume. Barbie’s short black hair is neatly tied back under a gold headdress which is embellished with an orange ribbon. She has a tan complexion with brown eyes and full red lips. Her cuffs are made of gold fabric, and she is the only Barbie I have without shoes! Barbie wears an emerald, ruby and gold top, which has an attached green cape edged with gold trimming. Barbie wears a gold brocade ankle length skirt.
 
Release date: 1 January 1998
Label: Collector Edition
Mattel price: US$24.99
Ebay price as at October 2012: US$15 - US$50

No comments:

Post a Comment