Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Expressions of India – Wedding Fantasy


Not just an admirer of Western white bridal dresses, I love bridal dresses of different cultures too. I adore the vibrant colours and textures of India fabrics, and would love to go on a fabric tour where I would probably spend a fortune on bolts of fabric that I would never cut!

Isn't this Barbie just glorious? Purchased in Singapore in 2004, I believe the Expressions of India series was only available in India (but obviously a few popped up in Singapore) so I was lucky to get my hands on it. If I had the luggage space I would have snapped up the other dolls in the series too which are just as beautiful. I had a hard time bringing this doll back to Melbourne as the box is cylindrical, which I ultimately had to destroy when I deboxed her.


The Wedding Fantasy Barbie is dressed in a traditional ghagra-choli (long skirt with bustier top) with zari work (gold and silver coloured thread inlay). I love her detailed jewellery which includes a maang-tika (head ornament), gold choker, a series of gold, red and white bangles, elaborate gold earrings and shining nose ring. She wears white high heels with a small doll stand strapped to her ankles.

Release date: 2002
Ebay price as at May 2012: US$170

No comments:

Post a Comment